To cut through the brand-positioning confusion, we have developed a brand and positioning framework. This framework has been successfully used to educate our clients and help them clearly understand the distinctions between branding and positioning and how they play together. [Read more…]
Often we get calls from B2B tech companies looking for a brand strategy. Or we receive a desperate call by a tech executive to come in and clean up after an expensive branding effort that missed the mark. This got us thinking about a couple of questions that we hear time and time again:
- What is the difference between Branding and Positioning?
- Do companies need Branding, Positioning or both?
- When is B2C branding helpful for a B2B company?
After working with almost 300 clients over the past several years, the difference between the winners and losers among technology companies has become clear. The winners almost always share these four qualities:
- They have a specialized focus (like social media management, big data analytics or IT operations).
- They have unique IP or an original approach like distributed architecture.
- They’re leveraging an inflection point in the market (like mobile marketing or IT-as-a-Service).
- And, they have a strong, engaging point of view that captures the imagination of the market.
A change in strategy changes everything. It cannot be undertaken lightly.
Capitalizing on a change in strategy or inflection point often requires solving a new customer problem, selling and marketing to a different set of buyers and competing against a new group of competitors. [Read more…]